Students taking COD courses are benefiting from Bailey Library services offered in anticipation of the needs and preferences of 21st century students. Some resources and services, such as the online Research Databases, have long been offered by the Library. Some, like ERes Electronic Reserves and Research Help Now (Virtual Reference Service), were implemented last year as a natural outgrowth of the WCC Library’s continuing efforts to meet the increasing demands for 24/7, off-site access to library resources and help. Some, like Virtual Instruction and COD Materials Delivery, we developed just for WCC College on Demand students.
- The Research Databases provide internet access to digital full-text articles and citations in thousands of journals, magazines, and newspapers. Off-campus access is regulated via a proxy server which automatically updates every night to provide quick access for registered students, faculty and staff. COD students who can’t come to campus and/or who don’t have easy access to another academic library, have the ability to find and use research materials for their assignments.
- Research Help Now: Washtenaw Community College’s Richard W. Bailey Library participates in a Virtual Reference Service with 12 Michigan Community Colleges to provide our students online help for assignments. You can access our live chat service, Research Help Now from the Library homepage page; click on the Research Help Now link or go directly to http://www.researchhelpnow.org
- ERes Electronic Reserves uses Docutek’s ERes software to deliver digital documents that WCC instructors put on Reserve for particular classes. As of 9/9/2005 (a mere two weeks into classes), there have been 180 hits on this fall’s course documents, coming from the Psychology 100, Psychology 130, and Humanities 150 students.
- The Virtual Reference Service software allows for virtual, over-the-internet group instruction for geographically scattered students. COD instructors interested in scheduling research instruction that does not require a trip to campus should contact Sandy McCarthy (734-677-5293, or email email@example.com).
- COD Library materials delivery: For COD students taking credit classes and who live outside of Washtenaw County, the Access Services department in the Bailey Library will mail WCC general collection library books and make photocopies of articles that are only available in the WCC print periodicals collection. Students needing help finding materials for assignments can call the Reference Desk at 734-973-3431 or use Research Help Now. Once the WCC materials are identified, students can email the citations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only general collection books and photocopies can be sent long-distance. The online request forms and instructions are available on the Library’s website under Distance Learners: Special Services. For questions or further information, call the Director of Access Services, Gwen Evans, at 734-477-8723 or email email@example.com.